Dealing with HM Revenue & Customs

HM Revenue & Customs - Registering your Business

HM Revenue & Customs

Below is advice regarding  HM Revenue & Customs, this is only my advice and is not intended as financial advice, I would advice you to seek the opinion of a qualified accountant if you require financial advice, regarding HM Revenue & Customs. ( Deutsch English translation )

If you start your own business in the UK, you must register with HM Revenue & Customs (formerly Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Departments). The website is very informative (address below) though some of the forms can be tricky to fill in.

Look at HM Revenue & Customs as a friend rather than an enemy. I have always found them very helpful. The most important thing is to keep records of all income and expenditure from Day 1.

HM Revenue & Customs - Registering for VAT

Currently, in 2018, the VAT threshold for being required to charge Value Added Tax to your customers is £85,000 in England. Below that threshold you may register but you are not obliged to. However, there are other conditions from HM Revenue & Customs under which your registration is obligatory - a lot of which do not tend to apply to freelance translators. Detailed information is available at HM Revenue & Customs.